ADR Activities and Other Involvements
From 2003 to 2008, served for as an Evaluator for the Early Neutral Evaluation Program of the United States District Court, Northern District of California, to resolve patent litigation early in the discovery phase.
Prior to 2013, served for seven years as a volunteer Federal Circuit Mediator in the Appellate Mediation Program of the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, to resolve patent litigation on appeal from final decisions of Federal District Courts.
- Member of the Advisory Committee to the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit from 1992 to 1997.
- Member of the American Bar Association, having served as the Chair of the Intellectual Property Law Section from 1990 to 1992, as a member of the House of Delegates from 1987 to 2001, as Chair of the Section Officers Conference from 1992
- Member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association, having served on its Board of Governors from 1978 to 1987, and as its President from 1985 to 1986.
- Senior Advisor to the United States Delegation to the Diplomatic Conference on Patent Harmonization in 1984 and 1991.
- Member of the State Bar of California, having served as Chair of the Patent, Trademark and Copyright Section of this bar from 1979 to 1980, as a member of Executive Committee of its Conference of Delegates from 1981 to 1984, and as a member of its Board of Governors from 1984 to 1987.
- Chair of the Board of Directors of the Legal Aid Society of San Francisco from 1982 to 1984.
- Member of the Bar Association of San Francisco, having served as its President from 1979 to 1980.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the International Patent and Trademark Association from 1975 to 2010, having served as its Vice President from 1987 to 1995, and as its President from 1995 to 2001.
- Member of the Legal Services Corporation Board of Directors, having served from 1984 to 1990 at the nomination of President Reagan and from 1993 to 2003 at the nomination of President Clinton, in each instance having been unanimously confirmed by the U.S. Senate.
- Testified numerous times before Congress on intellectual property law and civil legal services for the indigent.
Commonwealth of Virginia, 1961; District of Columbia, 1962; State of California, 1963; United States Patent and Trademark Office, 1962; United States District Courts for Northern, Eastern, Central, and Southern Districts of California, 1963; United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 1963; Supreme Court of the United States, 1965; United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 1982.